Ricardo dos Santos: ‘Sprinter is not surprised’ London police stopped him for the second time

Ricardo dos Santos, the Portuguese sprinter, was stopped early Sunday morning while driving through the British capital. Dos Santos was previously pulled over and searched by the same police force along with his partner and child in July 2020.

In a series of tweets, dos Santos posted dashcam footage from his car of Sunday’s incident, showing the sprinter coming to a stop and then several police officers approaching the car.

in tweetsDos Santos expressed his disappointment.

“Not surprised that I had to go through this again. Last night when I was driving home, 7 armed @metpoliceuk officers stopped me because they thought I was talking on the phone while driving. At their request, I stopped when it was safe,” the thread began. .

“After I stopped, two officers ran up to the car on both sides, one clenched his fist and hit me on the glass and tried to open the car door. Dos Santos said in a post.

“Irritated that nothing has changed in 2 years,” Dos Santos wrote.

This is reported by the Metropolitan Police. Twitter, suggesting the 27-year-old failed to pull over in time. The statement said: “We are aware of social media footage showing part of the car stopping.

“At about 04:00 on Sunday, August 14, armed officers patrolled a car with police markings. They saw a car heading east… and became concerned that the driver might be using a cell phone while driving.

“The officers clearly indicated that the car should stop, but she did not, and they called for additional help. The driver stopped after about 5 minutes… and the officers told him why they wanted to stop the car.

“We have since reached out to the driver via Twitter to invite him to contact us should he wish to discuss the matter further.”

Dos Santos on Sunday responded to a police statement with another tweetstating that he showed only part of the video as “the rest will be with my lawyer”.
In another statement posted on the Metropolitan Police website Twitter On Monday, the service wrote that they “recorded the matter as a public complaint” and “transferred it to the IOPC (Independent Office of Police Conduct), recognizing the public interest.”

CNN reached out to dos Santos’ representatives for further comment and was told they would not make an official statement, but referred CNN to an interview he gave to the BBC.

“I posted this video because this kind of thing goes on… I wanted people to really see and argue and understand that even though special measures were taken against the police, nothing has changed and will not change,” he said. aired on BBC 5Live.

Dos Santos and his partner, Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams, spoke to CNN senior sports analyst Darren Lewis in 2020 about their previous encounter with police.

After the couple, with their then three-month-old son in the car, were stopped and searched by police, the footage was widely shared on social media.

Williams said in that interview that she would have to teach their son that “he can be stopped by the police because of the color of his skin.”

Five Metropolitan Policemen face gross misconduct hearing on the incident in July 2020 following an investigation by the police oversight body, IOPC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *