Ethiopia’s Tigray Region Committed to Maintain Humanitarian Ceasefire

The government in Addis Ababa announced a cessation of hostilities on Thursday, saying it should allow aid to flow into Tigray.

“The Tigray government will do everything possible to ensure that the cessation of hostilities is successful,” the Tigray regional government said in a statement late Thursday.

In November 2020, war broke out between the rulers of Tigray, the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (PLF), and the central government led by Abiy.

Conflictwhich later swept into neighboring regions, led to the death of thousands of civilians and the displacement of millions of people from northern Ethiopia and into neighboring Sudan.

The United Nations has said that more than 90% of the 5.5 million Tigrayans are in need of food aid.

The federal government has always stated that humanitarian aid is allowed to enter Tigray, but since the Ethiopian troops withdrew from Tigray at the end of June last year, only a small amount has arrived.

Tigray leaders have accused federal and neighboring Afar and Amhara regions of blocking aid to Tigray, but they deny the accusations.

The central government accused the Tigray militants of blocking aid because they had invaded Afar, a neighboring region along the only land route currently open to Tigray.

The United Nations and the United States have welcomed Addis Ababa’s announcement of a unilateral ceasefire that follows US Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa David Satterfield’s visit to the capital Addis Ababa this week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *