DRC: Health authorities identify third Ebola case, WHO says

The patient is a 48-year-old male who was a “high-risk” contact of the first Ebola patient identified during the latest outbreak in the DRC, who died on 21 April. to the official twitter post from the WHO African Region.

“Respondents identified 444 contacts and continue to monitor their health,” the report says.

The second victim of the virus died on April 25 after symptoms had lain for more than a week. WHO said last week.

The victim, a 25-year-old woman, was the daughter-in-law of the first victim.

The WHO said the first patient began experiencing symptoms on April 5 and sought medical attention at a local health facility before being admitted to an Ebola treatment center for intensive care on April 21. He died later that day, the organization confirmed.

Since then, vaccination has begun in Mbandaka, with 281 people vaccinated so far, according to the WHO. latest published data for vaccination.
Many residents of Mbandaka got vaccinated against ebolaaccording to WHO Regional Director for Africa Dr Matshidiso Moeti.

However, people who were vaccinated two years ago when the virus broke out in the DRC will be revaccinated, Moeti added.

The DRC has huge stockpiles of Ebola vaccine, the WHO assured, adding that the country’s health authorities have more experience in containing the disease than anywhere else in the world.

The WHO said investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the current outbreak.

A total of 13 Ebola outbreaks have occurred in the DRC, including one that began in 2018. claimed almost 2300 victimsAccording to WHO.

Previous outbreaks in Equatoria were in 2020 with 130 cases and in 2018 with 54 cases, according to the WHO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.