China accuses US of ‘weapon’ of extended quarantine in Shanghai

On Monday, the US State Department “ordered” non-emergency workers and their families to leave the city of 25 million “due to the spike in Covid-19 cases and the impact of (China) response-related restrictions.” to the application on their website.

The notification comes just days after the State Department authorized the “voluntary departure” of employees from Shanghai. BUT travel advice also urges Americans to “reconsider travel” throughout China, citing strict Covid restrictions, including the “risk of parent-child separation.”

China’s foreign ministry has notified the US that it “strongly opposes” the consulate’s order, ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a news briefing on Tuesday.

“We express strong dissatisfaction with the politicization and weaponization of the evacuations by the United States,” Zhao said, adding that US “smeared China.”

Zhao also called China’s Covid prevention and control policy “scientific and effective”, insisting that the government is “fully confident that it will be able to control the new wave of Covid-19” despite the rising number of cases.

The financial center reported more than 26,000 new cases of local transmission on Monday, surpassing 20,000 for the sixth day in a row, according to the National Health Commission of China (NHC). cases of the disease.

Zhao’s assertion stands in stark contrast to more dire reports from other Chinese officials, including NHC deputy director Lei Zhenglong, who warned on Tuesday that the outbreak in Shanghai “has not been effectively contained.”

He added that the outbreak has since spread to many provinces and the number of new infections is expected to remain high in the coming days.

Frustrations due to blocking

The Shanghai lockdown has been mired in controversy and dysfunction since it was first introduced, seemingly without much warning, on March 29.

Public anger is exacerbated by stories of how parents have been separated from their infected children, even toddlers, under Shanghai lockdown rules, and of a pet corgi killed by Covid prevention workers after its owner was quarantined.

Videos circulating online show protests erupting last week at a residential complex in southwest Shanghai as residents confront police at the gate and yell, “Give us supplies.”

CNN was unable to independently verify the images or contact local authorities for comment.

Pressure builds as Shanghai, a city of 25 million, remains locked inside

Social media posts also show growing desperation, with a recent video showing a mother begging for medicine for her child from neighbors at midnight in Shanghai. “Do you have any fever medicine? My baby has a fever. Is anyone home? Sorry, sorry to bother you! Everyone! Is anyone awake?” The mother’s cry can be heard in the video.

Since the start of the pandemic, China has tightened rules on the sale and purchase of fever medication, requiring a prescription and a negative Covid test.

CNN geolocated the apartment complex in the Shanghai video, but was unable to independently verify the video and was unable to identify the mother involved.

Last week, the outbreak in Shanghai spread to nearby cities, including Hangzhou and Ningbo in Zhejiang province. Some nearby cities have been closed, including Haining in Zhejiang and Kunshan in Jiangsu province.

Meanwhile, the southern city of Guangzhou has also reported dozens of cases since early April, prompting multiple rounds of mass testing and school closures. Residents are advised not to leave the city and must present a negative PCR test if they wish to leave.

On Monday, Shanghai officials began easing measures in areas where no positive cases have been reported in 14 days. However, authorities have warned that these residents should only go out when necessary, be tested twice a week, and that the lockdown will be reintroduced if any new cases are found in the area. This still leaves the vast majority of the city’s 25 million residents on lockdown.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.