The report, which cites four unnamed sources, said Canada Soccer is unable to adequately compensate players due to a contract signed with the privately held Canada Soccer Business (CSB), which receives a large share of the revenue generated by the national teams. .
But Canada Soccer told CNN that the ongoing negotiations with its national teams “have nothing to do with the CSB agreement voted and accepted by our board.”
“There is no clause in the CSB agreement regarding prize money for player competitions. Those are two different questions,” Canada Soccer’s Paulo Senra told CNN via email.
Canada Soccer did not comment on the allegations of criticism of their management practices to CNN.
Sport Canada funds the country’s national sports organizations, including Canada Soccer.
The statement added that the investigation should look into the motives of those involved in the agreement with CSB and find out why the agreement remained in place when board members allegedly raised concerns.
Both national teams requested to be “properly consulted” when it came to key decisions taken by the governing body that affected them.
Senra told CNN that the board meeting was held on March 27, 2018, and members discussed and approved the CSB agreement, reviewing the agreement prior to the meeting.
The federation also said that after previously having had its men’s and women’s national teams independently involved in contract negotiations, it has prioritized “fairness and equal pay” in ongoing negotiations with players.
The federation said that negotiations with the men’s team are ongoing, and on June 23 an updated proposal was made. “The same proposal is in front of our women’s national team,” the statement said.
But the players said the statement “unsuccessfully attempts to put a positive spin on what the article reveals” and “does not confirm that Canada Soccer will open its books and records immediately and address the lack of transparency going forward.”
It added: “Because Canada Soccer does not acknowledge any management or leadership issues, it also does not commit itself to addressing any of the issues identified in the article.”
Canadian men are set to compete in this year’s World Cup, which takes place in Qatar from November to December, qualifying for the world’s biggest football tournament for the first time in 36 years.
FIFA, the governing body of world football, has provided $440 million in prize money. Teams eliminated in the group stage will receive $9 million each, and each participating country will receive $1.5 million before the start of the tournament to cover preparation costs. The further teams advance, the more prize money they will receive, with the winners receiving $42 million.
In June, the men’s national team went on strike ahead of a friendly against Panama over a dispute over players’ compensation.
In an open letter posted by TSN’s Westhead on Twitter, the men’s team said they wanted 40 percent of the World Cup prize money, a trip for friends and family to the tournament, and “a fair structure with our women’s team playing the same game. . fees, the percentage of prize money earned from our respective World Cups, and the development of the Women’s National League.”
In a statement on Wednesday, Canada Soccer said such claims were “unsound” and “not financially viable” due to the federation’s obligation to pay the women’s team the same percentage as the men’s team for every major tournament. The statement added that Canada Soccer is committed to finding a solution.
In an email to CNN on Thursday, Canada Soccer spokesperson Senra revealed that the federation’s newly appointed general secretary offered to meet with the women’s team and its representatives in Mexico following the conclusion of the Concacaf W Championship, which serves as a qualifier for the 2023 Women’s World Cup and the 2024 Olympics. years in Paris.
“We remain committed to open and transparent negotiations with both of our teams to find a solution based on the values of fairness and equal pay,” he added.